Skip to main content

I am curious to learn how others are decommissioning applications in LeanIX.  We have been setting the end of life but we have had a few org changes and need to change application ownership.  Do you leave the decommissioned applications with the original subscriptions, or do you remove the subscriptions?  I also don’t really want the quality seal to continuing breaking.

Hi @Flomst

there are probably some technical solutions to address the pain you experience with the breaking quality seals. You might use the “Automation”-feature to both set the subscription to some dummy user and also fix the quality seal upon reaching the lifecycle state “end of life”. You can also achieve the same thing with a homegrown automation using the LeanIX API which is reasonably accessible. 

I wonder, however, what value those decomissioned Applications provide to you in LeanIX or at what point it might make sense to just archive them. Once an Application truly reaches end-of-life, we just archive it because in our meta model and our use cases, none of the fact sheet data of decomissioned Applications nor its relations provide any further value. If you want to save the application data for posterities sake, I suggest using the “Export”-feature to take a snapshot before archiving decommissioned Apps.

I’ll be quick to admit that organizations are different and we may just have been lucky to have been spared any requirements to provide insights into what was or what might have been in our organization - be it to satisfy compliance or the whims of our stakeholders. So, at the very least, I hope the suggestion to use the “Automation”-feature helps you out.

Cheers,
Greg  

Hi @Flomst ,

The quality seal breaking does not depend on the Subscriptions, but on updates to the Fact Sheet contents. Weather you should remove any subscriptions when an application goes EOL, it is a choice, but I tend to not remove anything, leaving up to the subscriber to remove it if they wish. 

But I guess it is whatever works for your organisation. Org changes are indeed a pain ;-)

Cheers

Hi @Flomst , 
For now, we change the decommissioned applications to “End of life”. From there, we don’t touch those fact sheets anymore. We don’t follow their completion, nor try to apply our organisational changes.
We have not decided yet, but the idea is to archive them after a few years to avoid paying a higher license fee because of our growing number of decommissioned apps.

We have a Process, that after the EOL date we are archiving and exporting the application. If someone need some information about archived applications, he/she can ask our EA Management Team.

As soon as we reach the phaseout phase or the end-of-life phase for an application, a task is automatically created for the fact sheet owner with the necessary to-dos so that the decommissioning is carried out correctly. If the approval task is set to confirmed at the end of life, the status of our self-created "Operating status application" field is automatically set from active to inactive. This will show us in the future that this application is really end of life and has not just reached the lifecycle date. We do not archive fact sheets unless they are created incorrectly. This way we don't forget the past in the future. If the owner rejects the approval task, he must adapt the lifecycle.

The quality status of these applications with the value "inactive" from our own field is always set to confirmed using automation. The owners can therefore be retained and do not have to do anything else.