Skip to main content

Are you applying “TAG’s” such as ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning), HCM (Human Capital Management), WFM (Workforce Management), RMS (Recruitment) Payment or similar on Application Factsheets to be able to easily search/report on the categories? What categories are you using?

With the Reference catalogue introduced, there is the “Product Category” filed. Have you used it to create any reports?

My current view is there are some overlaps with this two concepts and would prefer to align with the later for consistency but also to be able to apply this for none SaaS discovered applications.

I guess this Use Case gets more relevant if you have hundreds or thousand of applications.

What’s your reflection?

Hi @Thomas Teglund. For application categorization according to business criteria, I often use Business Capabilities, especially for using those categories in Application Portfolio Management / Demand Management to identify re-use potential and synergies.

I am aware that the capabilities don’t fit 100% all of the time, but I like to keep my categorization schemes as lean as possible and I hesitate to introduce additional categorization schemes beyond Business Capabilities.

@Thomas Teglund the “product category” from the “reference catalog” is, as I understand it, based on the Categories | G2 list. This could be overwritten by reference catalog updates and is quite subjective.

If you want something simpler then set up your own TAG/Attribute or possibly even create some “Platform” factsheets and relate the applications to the relevant Platform entry.

Hi @Thomas Teglund ,

We have tried, in the past, to use a custom field called “Application Family”, which was probably a custom version of “product category”

But we got so poor data quality in return, that we gave up on this one and “recycled” the field to mostly distinguish purchased from home made applications.

However, what we also do, of course, is to link applications with Business Capabilities, which should give a feeling of the purpose of each application.