Skip to main content
Solved

Application migration to a different ServiceNow instance

• 22 July 2024
  • 1 reply

Hello everyone,

There is a hypothetical scenario that I would feel safe knowing the solution to.

I am linking some Applications with ServiceNow, but I am using a filter in the integration so it only links the applications I want to.

Let’s say that some applications move to another sub-company in the workspace.
With conservative sync being mandatory since the target is ServiceNow and an overwrite would delete stuff there.
Said sub-company will now have its own ServiceNow instance, so I want to move the applications to their instance, but if I break the initial link from the filter then the Applications inside ServiceNow won’t be deleted.
While at the same time for other reasons ServiceNow id is mandatory to be kept.
So If I create new fact sheets (clones or import an export without the old IDs) I will lose the ServiceNow id.

Question is how can I move some Applications links from a ServiceNow instance to another, while deleting the applications from the original SNOW instance.

Thanks in advance, here for any clarifications

1 reply

Badge

Hi @GiannisAnt :
As you want to preserve the ServiceNow ID in LeanIX, we will recommend that you move this ID into a new field, as the ServiceNow ExternalID is supposed to be empty when there is no link to ServiceNow. Hence in case the link breaks you will end up loosing the ServiceNow ID.

To make the process seamless you can also include a tag:MigrateToAnotherInstance and then use this to exclude such applications from the filter as soon as the tag is applied. In case this is a onetime exercise you can take the below steps:-

• Copy the ServiceNow ID to a new field.(You can also use the integration to update this field by pulling sys_id from ServiceNow)
  • Deactivate the Integration.
  • Remove/migrate the applications from ServiceNow instance to the target instance.
  • Apply the filter in LeanIX and activate the integration.

Hope this helps.