Skip to main content
Solved

Lifecycle Status - additional attributes

• 10 June 2024
  • 6 replies

Dear all,

I’m currently facing the issue, that we have applications which are end of life, but still in use. Its mainly the support which is out of date, but the application still works. We are currently not planning to use a new release as well, so there is no successor on that.

In fact, the date at “end of life” affects my cost reportings. I added the costs to the corresponding IT Component and included the Provider, but as the Application is eol it dosen’t show up. But I still have costs on that. :(

Is there any option to reflect such cases? I would love to add a new Lifecycle phase (“extended usage”) but there is no option to add such.

Or did I miss something here? Any suggestions how to deal with this issue?

Thanks

Christina

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hi @Christina,

The way I think about it is that since your Application is in use, it should have a lifecycle state of Active. Since the IT Component (software used by the Application) is out of support, it should have a lifecycle of end-of-life. The costs should still be represented in the relation of the ITC and the Application. You ca also specify in the same relation that you have accepted the obsolescence risk.

Cheers.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @Christina, according to most companies‘ definitions, your application is not EoL yet, but in Phase Out, and it will only become EoL when it’s actually turned off.

To reflect the lack of internal support for an application, you can introduce a tag like „Unsupported“. To indicate the lack of external support of a standard software, you can automatically aggregate the lifecycle of the underlying IT Components onto the application into a tag, in a very similar way like we do it in Tech Obsolescence Management.

Example: IT Component is EoL => related Applications are automatically tagged as „Unsupported“.

Alternatively, you could modify the lifecycle values and add an „end of support“ phase, but that would add data maintenance complexity and it’s unclear to me if the benefit is greater than the additional cost of complexity and maintenance effort.

Thanks @Helder.Luz  and @Thomas Schreiner.

The Idea of using tags in case a Component is out of support phase is great. I will consider that and test it if it fits our needs. 
As well as including the obsolescence risk may help here. In general I understand how most people use eol- I will discuss that. Thanks, great help!

@Thomas Schreiner : just in case I would need an additional Lifecycle Phase - do you know how to do that? I was not able to configure (not even renaming) these fields in the metamodel. Anything I didn’t get? 

Best,

Christina

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @Christina,

You cannot do this yourself, you need to get in touch with LeanIX Support or Customer Success Management and ask them to add another state to the lifecycle values.

For example, one of my customers has customized their Application lifecycle states like this:

"values": [  "plan",  "phaseIn",  "active",  "exception",  "phaseOut",  "endOfLife"],
Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Hello @Christina ,
an alternative approach may be to keep the application active and to set the unlaying main Software component to Phase out.

Another approach may be to add a Support section to the factsheet. I’d model there a dropdown Labeled Support with values Active and EOL and a date field containing the date of EOL. If automation is desired, you’ll need a programmer for a scheduled job checking each night if date of EOL is less than today and then set the dropdown to EOL. 

So you have many choices. Anyway I agree to Lutz and Thomas that the applications life cycle should be active.
Best regards,
Carsten

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Thank you for your answers @Helder.Luz , @Thomas Schreiner & @Carsten! @Christina, I hope this helps!