SAP Logo LeanIX is now part of SAP
Solved

My company wants to implement it, but I still have doubts

• 29 January 2024
  • 4 replies

Hello, my company intends to implement the LeanIX tool, but we still have some questions about how the platform works and some questions like: how long does the implementation take (months? Years?), what type of integration does it have with Signavio? Is there any difficulty in the implementation? Is the platform itself automated, or is it quite manual (data processing and analysis, report completion, etc.)?

icon

Best answer by Carsten 30 January 2024, 14:23

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge

Hi @João Antonio,

we are now using LeanIX for four years now. For us was a good decision. The implementation is very fast, but to feed it with data is the challenge. Depending on the amount of data like applications, component business capabilities etc. and the amount of resources it differs very much. But you are able define your own roadmap, depending on your needs. EA is an ongoing process. for us it took with one an a half architect 6 months including data entry, setup, creation of self learning videos etc. Over the time you may enhance the system with webhooks and interfaces to other systems. The main challenge is to get stakeholders responsible for maintaining data. We entered a huge number of and put it to accountable stakeholder for approval and data maintenance. I think it is a good product and can really recommend it. You can see the roadmap and participate in setting priorities. Anyway I recommend to take consulting services from LeanIX, that very valuable, too.

Reports and diagram are easy to build and they are interactive, that's very useful. For more complex tasks you have to use APIs and/or graphql, but for developers it’s easy (from my point of view, I developed our stuff myself). We are not using Signavio, so I cannot share any experience.
Best regards,

Carsten

Hi @João Antonio,

we are now using LeanIX for four years now. For us was a good decision. The implementation is very fast, but to feed it with data is the challenge. Depending on the amount of data like applications, component business capabilities etc. and the amount of resources it differs very much. But you are able define your own roadmap, depending on your needs. EA is an ongoing process. for us it took with one an a half architect 6 months including data entry, setup, creation of self learning videos etc. Over the time you may enhance the system with webhooks and interfaces to other systems. The main challenge is to get stakeholders responsible for maintaining data. We entered a huge number of and put it to accountable stakeholder for approval and data maintenance. I think it is a good product and can really recommend it. You can see the roadmap and participate in setting priorities. Anyway I recommend to take consulting services from LeanIX, that very valuable, too.

Reports and diagram are easy to build and they are interactive, that's very useful. For more complex tasks you have to use APIs and/or graphql, but for developers it’s easy (from my point of view, I developed our stuff myself). We are not using Signavio, so I cannot share any experience.
Best regards,

Carsten

Great, thank you for your answer, I will endorse it with the management of my company, really thank you very much
Userlevel 3

Hi @João Antonio ,

I’ve just seen your post and @Carsten ’s answer. I can only fully support what Carsten wrote. One advice that I can add is to set a reasonable first target. EA is a journey and you should rather take it step by step.

In my company, LeanIX was deployed 4 years ago , it also took 6 months, but the person in charge back then started with a too ambitious target (collecting information about all applications, all interfaces and all data objects, linking them also to business capabilities, user groups and processes).

The challenge wasn’t the tool, but how to get the whole dataset , and of good quality. 2nd challenge was to keep this data up to date.

Finally, 2 and ½ years later, we reduced our scope and put more focus on our governance. And also in training and communication for everyone to understand the purpose of EA and leanIX, and how to use it.

Best regards,

Didier

Same story here.  When starting, most time will be spent on gathering all data and discussing how to model it best in LeanIX.
We are a big international company with more than 400 applications scattered all over Europe.  Simply getting a list of all of them, and knowing who owns them from a management-, functional- & technical perspective, what types of users are using them, and what business capabilities they offer took us a few months.  But it was worth the effort.

I would recommend to focus on data quality over data quantity.  When end users know they can trust the information that is LeanIX they will use it more often.