Skip to main content

Hello everyone,

My current understanding is that behind most business capabilites there is a process that describes how this capability is achieved operationally. This process is modeled in SAP Signavio according to BPMN 2.0, for example.

However, my understanding is also that certain capabilities can be used or activated within a process in order to support a process. 
Therefore, I have the following questions: 

• Is it correct that business capabilities are used within a process to realize a higher-level capability?
  • How can this relationship between capabilities and processes be represented in Signavio? So how do I illustrate in my BPMN, that the process describes “how” a certain capability is delivered? And how do I show other capabilities that are required for this process?

Thank you very much for your support!

Hi @Dominik G. ,

we use the following definition:

1. Business Capability supports a value stream
  2. Process/Person/Technologies enable a Business Capability

Hope this helps,

André

Hi @andreh ,

I tend to think about it in this simplistic way:

• Business Capability is the What we do.
  • Business Process is the How we do it.

e.g.

• We Support Customer Enquires (Business Capability)
  • Attend to Customer email query (Process): Customers can Send email queries to our customer service department. When receiving a customer email, this happens: Step 1. Step 2. Step 3.
  • Answer Customer Phone Call (Process): When answering a customer phone call the CS Agent will: Step 1, Step 2, Step 3.

Cheers