SAP Logo LeanIX is now part of SAP
Solved

IT Component Costs and currencies

• 23 April 2024
  • 3 replies

Hi everyone,

This is a feature request.  When adding costs to an IT component linked to an application, it is listed in the local currency which is set in the general settings.  At the moment, I’m performing a point-in-time conversion for contracts in USD, GPB etc to my local currency which over time will become inaccurate.  If possible I’d like to enter the cost of the IT component in the currency the contract is paid in.  LeanIX knows about different currencies from the general settings, so if I can enter that value, that would be superb.  In the costings reports, they would convert those costings to the local currency so I know what each provider is costing me, in my local currency.

What does everyone else think? Would this be a useful feature?

icon

Best answer by Thomas Schreiner 23 April 2024, 09:35

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @KarlAngel, that’s an interesting idea, still it’s probably complicated to implement. Numbers would change on a daily basis based on the currency exchange rates, the invoice dates and cycles would have to be considered etc…

If you want to implement an accurate IT Cost Management in your organization, I would rather look into the direction of a dedicated IT cost management tool such as Apptio, which has a native integration with LeanIX, and run the calculations there.

Another idea would be adding cost fields with alternative currencies, and then running a scheduled automation that re-calculates the other fields on a daily basis using the current conversion rates. But I’m not sure if that’s worth the effort :-)

If you still want to submit it as an idea for LeanIX, feel free to do so: https://roadmap.leanix.net/

Thomas

Userlevel 2

Hi @KarlAngel,
we had a very similar idea. Not for IT components but for Initatives, where we want to indicate the costs or value. Working globally, which means, it is easier for people outside of euro to use their local currency.
I submitted an idea to be able to choose the currency directly in the factsheet, which wouldn’t solve your issue but might be a first step.

But for accurate IT cost mangement, I would also propose to use a specialized tool.

Best 

André

Hi @KarlAngel, that’s an interesting idea, still it’s probably complicated to implement.

Thanks @Thomas Schreiner, I would keep the implementation simple and not over complicate things.  Like André’s suggestion above, just a simple conversion and choice to show currencies would be great.  I’ll add a suggestion to the roadmap, thanks for that suggestion.