SAP Logo LeanIX is now part of SAP
Question

Using Business Architecture in LeanIX

• 29 February 2024
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

Is anyone using BPMN in LeanIX to create a multi-level process repository?

The challenge of using the BPMN 2.0 stencil in LeanIX poses a few challenges:

1. The BPMN stencil or toolfolder is way too comprehensive. We need a simplified version like in Signavio to ensure that all users model in a consistent manner. The risk is there that users will use incorrect objects from the toolfolder.
  2. The type of task i.e. Service Task cannot be changed on the fly to a Manual Task for instance.
  3. The toolfolder cannot be restricted per user type - i.e. some users will only model business processes and others will have other use cases. It would be useful to let process modelers have access to a simplified BPMN toolfolder.
  4. Drill down diagrams is also a challenge - how do you do this in Free Draw?

I guess my question is - should we promote LeanIX as a single EA tool or only in combination with Signavio to accommodate the requirements of Business Architecture?

Looking forward to hear from the community.

Best, Chris

4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello Chris,

While the creation of a multi-level process repository would be technically possible, I believe it will be very cumbersome. There are enhancement on the way/ already published to mitigate some of your proposed challenges. For instance, creating custom shape libraries (addressing point 1) or diagram in a diagram (addressing point 4). After all, I believe that this task can be easier achieved in other tools, such as Signavio.

Curious, if other users have other perspectives.

Happy Friday,

Marek

Userlevel 4
Badge

@Chrisvz I think the answer ultimately depends on the purse strings. However, the governance and security model for control of diagrams and communication and collaboration on them is not a strength of LeanIX at this time.

I would consider the out of the box integration with Signavio before you go too far with either tool to allow the two systems to complement one another rather than diverging, otherwise there will be some rework and tidy-up required.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Hi @Chrisvz .   I am guessing you are talking about creating a Process reference map / taxonomy?  I would be cautious going down that path as it will be time consuming to define and agree, with possibly no substantial value.   Start by determining what value you are wanting from doing your process modelling, what stakeholder concern you are addressing, and what modelling approach may be best meet your need.  We did some recent value stream mapping that called out issues with some of the processes involved such as manual interventions, which was of high value to our management.    

Userlevel 1

Thanks for all the comments. I agree, Signavio is much more appropriate for this.