Skip to main content
Solved

Your Approaches to Cost Modeling in LeanIX

• 1 July 2024
  • 2 replies

Hi All, 

Happy Monday! I have had a few customers ask me how they should approach modeling costs of their IT within LeanIX. 

I would love to hear your approaches to modeling costs within LeanIX. Things that would be interesting to learn are:

• What types of views have you been utilizing to showcase the costs associated within your IT Landscape… Dashboards? Reports? Diagrams? External apps like PowerBI?

• Have you begun leveraging integrations like the Apptio integration or custom integrations?

• Have you used webhooks to pull in cost data? 

• Any other custom configs you have used?

• Challenges you may have run into? Solutions to them?

Very eager to learn and see your approaches and feedback on how they have performed. 

Have a great week everyone!

2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Interesting topic and would like to hear more from other… thanks @Beau Nelson for posting it.

We do not have cost integration at the moment, but for the in-progress AppRat project, we are planning to export cost data from Apptio and import it into LeanIX.

Before this the thought was to use t-shirt sizing model.

Said that, very soon, we will leverage out of the box Apptio integration to pull cost into LeanIX.

Qs to everyone…

1) What should I consider before starting the integration?

2) Where (in which section in LeanIX) should I bring and map to fields (either OOTB or custom)?

3) Any other considerations as part of this integration?

Thanks.

1) What should I consider before starting the integration?

2) Where (in which section in LeanIX) should I bring and map to fields (either OOTB or custom)?

3) Any other considerations as part of this integration?

=======================================================================

Getting Cost information is very tricky, What type of costs are you going add to an application?
Production cost? OTS cost? Subscription cost? Maintenance cost? Infrastructure cost? Instances cost for Global apps? Currency unit? Licensing cost?

I don’t think there is a cost feature to an Application in the application factsheet OOTB. There is one for the IT Components but that is only part of the overall cost.