SAP Logo LeanIX is now part of SAP
Question

Integrated Scripting?

• 4 March 2024
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello,

Not being an admin in LeanIX Enterprise Architecture, but a kind of power user.
Have scripting support been discussed? Like integrated support for multi-conditional scripting that allows changes and updates of content in bulk. Potentially doing everything that a person with proper permissions (and sense...) could do manually. 

I could be proven wrong, but I have a feeling that the current API support is not what I look for. 
It seems impractical to potentially have to manually change a large number of objects. Careful scripting could at its best help align old content with a given standard, either directly or indirectly, like by having a conditional script encourage owners to do the updates/changes in their end.
Full access to the object model used could - with multiple conditions - also help getting very detailed analysis on content, quality and integrity.
Sorry if posting in wrong user group, I do not understand why there are so many different user groups on this forum as it would seem there are proven benefits of having a larger number of people in one forum (given the language is the same).

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @Davidson 

There is a full Python Module available as an official LeanIX Partner Product: https://doc.aronis.de/

It can automate everything that a LeanIX user could also do manually, no matter if it’s via bulk scripting or live automation.

For the scripting part, we have a browser-based demo environment: https://demo.aronis.de/

If you want to learn more or see a demo based on your own use cases, feel free to get in touch via direct message.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I can’t answer as to whether there has been discussion about scripting. I don’t know if it helps, but I have used Power Automate, along with the LeanIX APIs, to do quite a bit of bulk processing. I have also created custom reports which let me write javascript code and access the LeanIX APIs to do various kinds of scripted processing.

Userlevel 1

@Thomas Schreiner Thank you, I had no idea. At a quick first glance, it seems to be just what I was asking for.

Sorry if being dense, but is it a product from a Partner (to LeanIX) or a product mainly intended for Partners? 
Also, I am currently not in a position to have a commercial contact of my own. I will look into the topic of scripting more and possible promote it. I do not want to create false promises.
Thank you for so promptly pointing me in the right direction. Where it all ends, that I can not tell.

Userlevel 1

@geoffrey.lowneyThank you for your prompt reply.
I briefly looked into some online documentation about APIs and custom reports and it was not for me.
Some of the reporting stuff seems more aligned to reporting in terms of viewing, not so much on ad hoc analysis or bulk updating.Also, some examples I saw felt very code intensive to do some rather basic things, but then it also included presentation as I remembers it.

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

@Davidson It’s a product by my own LeanIX partner company Aronis, used by lots of LeanIX customers.

For short scripts, you can also use the free web-based demo version with your own API token. For longer scripts, I would recommend the full version, which can be purchased directly via myself / Aronis.

Most bulk transformation scripts are just a few lines of code, so if you have any ideas on what you want to achieve, feel free to let me know, and I’ll send you some sample code that you can run yourself in the browser.

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Davidson, you are correct that custom reports may not be what you need. I was not sure from your initial post what your requirements were, so I thought it would be worth calling out as an option. Even LeanIX provides a few reports in the LeanIX Store which perform bulk admin activities (such as bulk management of subscriptions). I also mentioned Power Automate since it provides a “low-code” environment which includes the ability to schedule jobs.

But if what you need is command-line scripting, and you are comfortable with python, then https://doc.aronis.de sounds like a good option for you.

Userlevel 1

Somewhere someone is probably thinking “give a small child a hammer and the child will pound everything in reach” alternatively “give a child a hammer and everything becomes a nail” ;)
Fair enough, I known what this is coming from.

That said, in general my experience an Administrator, dba care taker or similar, needs some level of scripting to manage and upheld a large amount of data over time and/or for specific special situations.
Also, while there is a valid need for Exports to Excel-files, it just doesn’t provide the full depth when it comes to iterate and interactively explore. To my experience, this is just a part, but without it, I would feel ones insight would not be so precise and complete as without it.
Just relying on the Good Will of The User, may turn out to be misguided optimism of youth. Just relying on off-line, over-engineered, definitions and rules may turn out to be misguided optimism of Management. Simplicity in fundamentals is hard but pays off over time.

As Archimedes said, give me a scripting language and an interface to lean on and I will fix your problem.