Skip to main content

I am running into a scenario where we would like to use TIME with IT Components, along with our Applications.

I am thinking of a scenario where we might have several components in a Tech Category, and we want to Technology Rationalize down to a reasonable number.  Using the TIME classifications would be a big help there to help show teams what they should be using moving forward as we work to decommission the others.

Any thoughts/ideas on this would be appreciated.

Tech rationalization certainly is something we are concerned with.  We implemented the TIME on the IT Components.Software Factsheet subtype.  We simply duplicated the TIME as it appeared in the Applications.  This was helpful but is only a step in the process. We are relatively new to LeanIX but have been exploring: 

• Creating a Governance Fact sheet to help in establishing standards and making sure people are adhering to them.  This is a complex topic, but I have seen several others tackle this.  Most recently SAP LeanIX has introduced the Architecture Decisions/ARB processes. It was released in October to early adopters (sadly we didn’t sign up soon enough). This is a feature we will explore prior to creating any new Factsheet types. 
  • If you do not have a Architecture Review Board, this is a critical portion of Enterprise Architecture processes. Setting standards and governance to avoid sprawl is a bit deal. Otherwise, you are rationalizing while more tech is being thrown on the pile. 
  • Make sure you have your Tech Categories (TRB is you are using LeanIX standards) associated with all the of tech.  We focused on making sure each category had an ‘Owner’ or primary stakeholder you accepted the responsibility for strategic affirmation of technology in the category.  
  • You will also want to define what your target is for rationalization. That means you will want to provide information on what makes a tech a candidate for the standard to which the others must compete. Otherwise, it becomes a popularity contest between the tech owners.